Sunday, September 20, 2009

Blue Morning

This Sunday was rainy, we were tired, and everyone had the sniffles.

Enter comfort.

Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles.

DSC_1602

You have to fold in egg whites and all that jazz, so they're a little more trouble than bisquik...

DSC_1604

but it's very worth it.

Recipe from the always delicious Smitten Kitchen. I just added in blueberries after I put the batter on the waffle iron.

Roosta was a little busy to notice he was missing out...

DSC_1592

but more on J's pulling up and new pearly white later.  Well, I guess that's about it- he's pulling up and has a tooth. More photos when I can manage to get a one that isn't blurred from all the excitement.

click below for recipe



Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
2 eggs, separated
4 tablespoons (melted and cooled)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method

Mix together dry ingredients

Add egg yolks, vanilla & butter to buttermilk

Beat egg whites until soft peaks form

Stir together buttermilk mixture with dry ingredients

Gently fold in the egg whites

Ladle onto a hot waffle iron, sprinkle with blueberries

Serve hot with butter and syrup

6 comments:

  1. Yum...They look as good as those blueberry buttermilk pancakes I had in St. Simons once. I like waffles better than pancakes anyways. And J is pulling up! No way. And he has a pearly white! Unbelievable. The times they are a changin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog from Tasty Kitchen...these look so yummy and your baby is adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessica! Thank you, he's a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. pearly white and pulling up! WOW!! Go J! Love Grami xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those pictures make me hungry. Will you cook me breakfast tomorrow? you're better than me :)

    J's so cute with his little stance! G loves him some zipper tabs too....how funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] are the leftovers I wanted to use:  3/4 a lemon, 3/4 cup buttermilk, 1/2 package orzo, and Boris’ final harvest (I am pretty sure that apostrophe is [...]

    ReplyDelete