Saturday, September 26, 2009

This is Cereal

We are out of cereal.  Not a flake or cluster in the house.  Even the cereal dust that I save, like ends of bread, as a last resort is gone.

As a child I looked forward to "every-man-for-himself nights" where I would pour a huge bowl of cheerios (the plain ones. No sugar cereal for actual meals. This is a rule I still abide by, thanks Mom.) in the red plastic bowl. In high school I finished all the Waffle Crisp in the country (do you see it on the shelves anymore? Didn't think so.)  In college I used honey nut cheerios as a currency. My sister told me at our rehearsal dinner that she knew M was the one when he gave me a cereal dispenser for my birthday, my bridesmaids also revolved their rehearsal dinner speeches around cereal- I left with 3 boxes, and as a wedding gift we got another cereal dispenser (yes, I registered for it). These days, M knows that if he wants a bowl out of that bag of Colossal Berry Crunch he'd better hurry.

Dire. Straights.

DSC_1674

Then something very strange happened.

As I did my lengthy perusal of the cereal aisle, I became intrigued by oatmeal...

DSC_1771

(and yes, I think points should be given for partial organic purchases)

I had to cook the "fancy" oatmeal first, it takes a little longer...

DSC_1774

Then I could add in my oats...

DSC_1776

Once it was all cooked up I could add in all those other "heart healthy" ingredients. Brown sugar, syrup, vanilla...

DSC_1779

and my favorite, blueberries...

DSC_1781

But then you're going to have to share. M told me so.

DSC_1784

It's worth booting your frosted mini spooners every once in a while.

Happy Weekend!

(oh, if you didn't "get" the title of this post maybe you should read up on the inventor of the internet here.)

Souped Up Oatmeal

1. Cook "fancy" oatmeal according to package directions

2. Add in 1 minute oats and water (according to package for how much you are making) and cook

3. Pour in a few tablespoons of milk

4. For 1 serving add: 2 T brown sugar, 1 T pancake (or maple) syrup, 1/2 tea vanilla, 1/2 cup blueberries (can be frozen)

5. Stir together (reheat if necessary)

6. Top with more blueberries and milk if desired (cream would be delicious)

4 comments:

  1. Another recipe we'll have to try at this house as a "dessert"...by the way, you're welcome. Looks like J felt your pain! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate oatmeal this morning...you sprung a craving on me.

    And you are right. You must have eaten all the waffle crisp. None for S and J. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm, must be good if you'll give up cereal for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] 1, 2009 by Lindsay It was inevitable that cereal would edge it’s way back in to my mornings.  Oatmeal is still my new breakfast, but I like second breakfast around 10 am.  Granola seemed [...]

    ReplyDelete