At J and Bean's well check up I was asking the doctor if Bean could eat too many solids at this age. He replied that right now eating solids is more of a social event, so just smash up some of the vegetables we're eating- like squash.
HA.
Of course I went right along letting him think we don't eat pizza rolls or some version of pasta and cheese most nights, especially since I already had the ipod touch parenting J in the corner.
Although AP has been sleeping through the night for a while, that newborn fog is just now lifting. Quick. Frozen. Crock pot. Carb and cheese heavy. Those are the meals of 2011 so far. It was fine for a while, but M and I both decided we were feeling the effects of a less than well-rounded diet. M assisted the crew and we made our way through the produce aisle.
I've been looking for recipes that yield leftovers, can be prepped in advance (4-6pm just sucks), and are lighter. We've had chicken cesear salad, (easy) vegetable soup, chicken salad (we eat it with carrot sticks- that's healthy, right?!), and Pasta Primavera with Turkey Sausage. I made a couple minor substitutions for the things I didn't have on hand. I also halved the recipe because, to me, this is not a reheat kinda dish. (And yeah, this is carb-heavy, but it's with vegetables and there's no heavy sauce.)
Pasta Primavera with Italian Turkey Sausage adapted from allrecipes.com
Ingredients
1/2 package angle hair pasta- cooked according to directions
1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage
Olive oil
Minced garlic
1/4 onion, diced
1 zucchini, chopped
1 squash, chopped
1 tomato, seeded and diced
red pepper flakes to taste
1 tea Italian seasoning (approx)
1 tea basil
CHEESE (Italian preferably, but I used Mexican because J likes his quesadillas)
Directions
1. Heat skillet, brown turkey sausage. Set aside.
2. Add olive oil to skillet, saute the onion, garlic, zucchini and squash till tender
3. Add sausage back in.
4. Add S&P, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning and tomato
5. Toss noodles with some basil and olive oil, put on plate
6. Top noodles with cheese, put sausage and veggies on top of that
ENJOY!
On another food related note, we are ridding our house of peanut products. SNIFF. I was unwilling to part with my precious PB, but J is proving more and more capable in finding things, so out it all goes. Whatever shall I eat for lunch?
Thanks to, Decorating the Elevator's Mediterranean Tuna Antipasto Salad and Spoonful's Egg and Olive, I've not gone hungry. And gosh darn, with all that protein and vegetables I feel better too. (Side note- I made both of these on Sunday so they'd be ready to eat all week. I do realize that's not revolutionary...)
Well. Enough about food. Onto our favorite time of day. DAD IS HOME!!!! The lighting on these pictures is horrendous, but I figured you wouldn't mind looking past it.
I'm also going to ask you not to covet our closet space.
We do love that guy.
I also hope to post on the entertainment center soon. The last coat of paint is finally dry, and M hopes to put the doors on tonight.
Oops- my spell checker didn't find anything, which means it's broken. Sorry.

Oh glorious glorious photos! (the first is my favorite..no maybe the second..hmmmmm) Those babies are so yummy! The pasta dish looked good too and hurrah for M. xo
ReplyDeleteThe time of day when dad comes home is the BEST! I love the pics!
ReplyDeleteI'm also so impressed that you are giving up peanut butter. I'm really not ready for that yet. I couldn't give up eggs either, but I may have to one day to make our house safe :(
I love to read your recipe posts (even though I can't cook myself)! This looks wonderful!
precious precious pictures - perfectly captured their excitement :) The pasta looks soooo yummy. And sad day for your peanut butter. You can hold this sacrifice over him when he's a teenager and doesn't want to turn his music down or something, ha!
ReplyDeleteOh man. The irony. I think of you and M as the peanut butter couple. I remember the massive jars y'all would buy. The things we do for our little ones :)
ReplyDeleteYour pasta looks divine. I heart turkey sausage. Ina Garten has a great lasagna recipe with T-sausage. Let me know if you have any other good recipes.
Daddy home time rocks! Sweet sweet pics of the babes in their jams.
Had a hearty laugh with your "iPod Touch" reference. :) Hey...whatever it takes! Love the photos of M, J, and AP!
ReplyDeleteWe gave up peanut butter, actually ALL nut products, about two years ago when we discovered Neill had a peanut and tree nut allergy. It's tough at first but we're to the point now where it's just second nature and we don't really miss it. Try Sun nut Butter, made with sun flower seeds!
ReplyDeleteNeill is so good about asking other adults if there are nuts in the food they offer him! Of course, Halloween was laughable with his "Trick or treat! I'm allergic to peanuts and tree nuts!"
Just hopped over from my sister's blog (confessions) - LOVE the way you capture life through your photos!
ReplyDeletei was just looking at these pictures and elijah was standing beside me, and he thinks any red headed man is my dad (paw paw) and any baby is his brother (bubby!) so he got so excited about these pictures of paw paw playing with bubby!... no offense to M, he in no way looks 50. its just the red hair!
ReplyDelete