Monday, March 14, 2011

Strawberry Cupcakes, Sheeshkababs, and some Cute Kids

As promised, another cupcake cake box recipe. We had these as dessert on AP's baptism. Thank you, Paula Dean.


Strawberry Cupcakes adapted from Simply Delicious Strawberry Cake by Paula Deen

Ingredients:
1 box white cake mix
1 (3 oz) box strawberry jello
1 (16oz) package of strawberries in syrup, thawed & pureed
4 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
frosting:
1/2 tea strawberry extract
1 can cream cheese icing
*leftover strawberries in syrup- about an ounce

Directions:
1. Combine the cake mix and jello packet, mix in remaining cake ingredients- *hold out approximately an ounce of strawberries. (don't freak about the measurement, it's not going to matter).
2. Beat on medium till smooth
3. Pour into cupcake tins with liners
4. Bake 20-25 min (watch 'em)
5. Mix frosting, extract and approximately 1 ounce of the strawberries (from the cake). 
6. Frost cooled cupcakes and serve!

These were STRAWBERRY GOODNESS.  I'm sure Paula's frosting was amazing... but, this tweaked store bought was pretty amazing itself. It was a tad runny from the strawberry puree, but don't let it hurt your feelings.

This weekend was a nice little weekend. The weather was beautiful so I got in some runs without the jogging stroller while M (and Chris) played Call of Duty. That's right, the man of the house got an X-box. Our house is now a war zone. I have, in the past, had very strong feelings against "gaming". Now that we are extra busy with the little ones my feelings have actually softened: M is an exceptional provider, husband and dad. He works hard, and plays with our kids non-stop. Why not let him defend the living room against world domination?

Saturday night we grilled out some sheeshkababs (which I know is wrong, but I think it's funny- and funny is J's favorite word right now).


They were delish.  The butcher at Publix cut them up special for me from top sirloin. That butcher may have caused my Kroger eye to wander.

Seasoned them up (S&P, garlic powder, worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar) and skewered them with some red onion and a green pepper. M did the grillin' to medium-rare perfection.Side of steamed broccoli and oven roasted red potatoes.

Tonight I diced up the leftovers and we had steak nachos. They were also quite tasty, but it was 8pm, and ill-lighted nachos are no way to blog about food.  All in all, two great dinners for just $10 of good steak. 

Sunday night, would you believe me if I told you this itty-bitty sweet baby...

Knocked back THREE containers of baby food (technically 2.5, PLUS rice in each one)?


I have my little cookie-baking buddy, I'm sure of it.

Today of course was Monday. After the time change. And a cloudy gray one at that. J and I made the most of the warm before the storm during Bean's nap.



I could actually cry that this one is blurry





Happy new week to you all!

6 comments:

  1. Yumm! I have a sweet tooth and those cupcakes look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the blurry roosta photo is my new all-time favorite!! it replaces the one of him crawling, sticking his tongue out! i love him!
    and i love little ap! she looks so much like both of yall too! im glad she is an EATER!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. J and AP are too, too adorable. He has become such a little boy!! And she is such a happy baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Loving AP's appetite...go girl! Is J too pretty to be a boy and yet he is SO boy!!! Love love loves from G and G "T"!!! X-box...can't wait to try it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. world domination...lol. glad M is enjoying some recreation.

    i love top sirlon. steak nachos sound D-vine.

    great photo serious of J. he's such a handsome little guy!!! and AP looks like a barrel of fun:)

    ReplyDelete