Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My Auntie Kay's Dress

AP had the privilege of being baptized in my Auntie Kay's dress (born in 1938). 


My parents gave me Kay as a middle name.  Little Bean also has the honor of being named after her Aunt.

Auntie Kay (10 years old) & my Dad, Jay (4 years old)
My Auntie Kay was a wonderful person.  Kind, smart and talented. When I was in high school we lost her to cancer, our whole family was heartbroken.


Auntie Kay and Uncle Dean had an exciting life with their children, my cousins, Paul and Beth.  They lived in Hawaii, Kenya, Philippines and Costa Rica.  


They were settled in Miami when my family moved back to the States from Australia. I have fond memories of visiting them in Miami during summers and the holidays. We also took several extended family vacations together.  My family is very spread out geographically, so we all cherished these times.


After my Grandmother (Georgia May, born 1907) passed away, my parents found this little dress in her things.  I love that it was my Auntie Kay's dress, and I love that this particular dress was special enough to my Grandma to keep all those years. 


It's a strange and beautiful thing to grow up and learn about family in a new context. As a child I saw them as my Aunt and Grandma. Now I see them as mother and daughter.


It was such a blessing to have the past generations of women in my family represented at AP's baptism. 




Such a pretty little dress.


I think my Auntie Kay would say our little Bean did it justice.



10 comments:

  1. oh my I love this story... I totally teared up (but lets face it I am a crybaby)... such a sweet story and AP definitely did it justice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful story about your wonderful family.... AP was absolutely stunning in that sweet dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post honoring your Auntie Kay and Grandma Talbot. AP looked stunning in Kay's little vintage cotton dress. We wish we'd known more about its history, but just seeing AP in her Great Auntie's dress (it fit perfectly) was a privilege and touched all of our hearts. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS. I love the way AP is holding her dress as if she knows she's "modeling" it... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Precious! What a legacy left by Auntie Kay! And AP looks beautiful in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful and perfect dress. A treasure. The detail is absolutely gorgeous. AP is beautiful wearing it and I love seeing all the pictures of Kay. I know y'all miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, what a wonderful history and heritage you have, Lindsay! Aunt Kay sounds wonderful, and what an honor to have AP wear her gown! I agree with everyone, she definitely did it justice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love AP, I love that dress and I love that it was your aunt's! P.S. I didn't comment on your infant baptism post, but you did a great job explaining it and I thought it was the perfect post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok wait, you lived in australia!?! LOVE the dress and that it's from someone in your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lindsay, I loved your post about AP's baptism and the dress is so sweet! You and your husband have beautiful children!

    ReplyDelete