Tuesday, March 8, 2011

J's Oreo Cakes and Diaper Monkeys

M & J love an oreo. I buy 2 packs of double stuffed oreos almost every time I go to the store.  M and I discussed once that we may have a little too much of the grocery bill going to oreos.  Then M said, "I don't want to live in a world where, as a grown-up, I can't buy as many oreos as I want." Agreed.

For J's family birthday dinner-party I made an oreo cake...

Oreo Cake: the busy mom way (adapted from Apartment Therapy)

Ingredients
1. Dark chocolate moist cake mix & ingredients asked for
2. 1 package double-stuffed oreos
3. 1 large can vanilla frosting

Directions
1. Crush 1 "sleeve" of oreos coarsely (it's not an exact science), and toss in a small amount of flour
2. Mix cake box according to directions. Once mixed, stir in the oreos tossed in flour
3. Bake cake in two 9" round pans the way it tells you to on the box
4. After cakes have been cooled on a wire rack, carefully cut off the top of one of them (this is your "bottom" layer, so it is flat)
5. Ice the top of the bottom layer, top with MORE crushed oreos. Put the top on, ice the top, and then just pile on the rest of the crushed oreos. 

For J's school birthday party I made a cupcake version. Beantown Baker was my inspiration, I just made 100 shortcuts. These are for toddlers after all.  Toddlers eat fruit snacks from under the couch cushions. At least mine does.  Regardless, they were delicious and way good enough for those of us following the 5 second rule.


Oreo Cupcakes (adapted from Beantown Baker)

1. Same ingredients as above cake-- (correction: I actually used a vanilla cake mix on the cupcakes- either one is yummy.)
2. Before spooning batter into cupcake liners, twist one oreo apart, and put it in the bottom of the cupcake liner- frosting side up
3. Fill up with batter, cook cupcakes according to box
4. Ice with vanilla frosting, top with half of an oreo and crushed oreo pieces

Wal-Mart did NOT have Toy Story cupcake toppers (what the hay, Wally?), so I took 2 stickers and attached them to toothpicks. I gave J's cupcake Buzz AND Woody. I hope he noticed.

Sometime soon I'll post the ziti recipe from the birthday party, and the strawberry cupcakes from Bean's baptism. I think we have FINALLY rid our house of the ridiculous amount of sweets. It was my pleasure.

Maybe to even the scales, we started feeding AP fruit and veggies.  She took to it really quickly, probably because she watches brother dip things in sour cream on a daily basis.



These two. just. don't. stop. I love it.


It looks like she's about to take a swipe at him, but Beaners has actually started waving. Several witnesses at this point. And she contorts her body to be near J all the time.

These pictures below may not be a great pictures, but they're an accurate portrayal of our evenings.



The plan is to be back soon with "One Word Wednesday" and some SIX MONTH pictures of the Bean Burrito.

10 comments:

  1. I am so making the cake or cupcakes for small group.... Soooo cute and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha...the last two pictures. love them. real life for sure.

    last night S.G. came home early which is so rare and both kids went nuts {in a bad way}. they were on there worst behavior. i was so mad and i kept saying "daddy will never come home early again if you two keep acting this way."

    oreo cake and cup cakes look totally delish!
    i hate wal-mart. way to get creative with the toy story toppers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, the cake looks awesome! I'm sure it would still be good if I left the egg out of the cake mix b/c of all of the oreo goodness! Thanks for posting this!

    It's so much fun to see J & AP playing together! Can't wait to see y'all this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wish coleman was in J's class...dang you are a good "homeroom mamam"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum and yum and yum. To the cake, cupcakes, and kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite pic of all times in the one of AP and J in the diapers playing in the kitchen. Adorable. And I am loving the curtains! They count my eye immediately and look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. correction...'caught' my eye. sorry it's been a long day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg. I'm with Casey, homeroom mom award for sure. And I couldn't agree more with M's feelings about the oreo.

    Awesome cake, precious sibling pictures... Can't wait to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just gained a lb. looking at that cake - still worth it. You are an amazing mom!!

    And the pictures of J & AP playing are priceless. Siblings can be so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete