Friday, October 30, 2009

Welcome, this is a FarmHouse... and BarnHouse

After we had Roosta's picture taken on every square inch of campus, we headed over to M and Chris' fraternity house.  We showed J where Dada was on the alumni wall and took a few pictures just in case 18 years from now... no pressure, J. Well, a little, but we'll talk about it after we've mastered finger foods.

DSC_2382

Handsome 3

DSC_2385

Then we went a few blocks over to the beloved BarnHouse where I lived from summer after sophomore year until I graduated.  I imagine there are more than a few of you reading this who were chickens at one time or another.  We also had quite a few honorary chickens.  These pictures are for you.

DSC_2430

Here I am with J, probably explaining that this was the location where Daddy and I sat in lawn chairs and talked for one of the very first times.  M said he wanted to retire and live on a yacht.  I said, "What a coincidence! me too!". I would have married him then and there.

And here is "the roof". I think all of my roommates would agree that this was our favorite "bar" in Auburn. That far left window was the room SB and I shared.

DSC_2442

More importantly this tree is where you "Skinned the Cat".  Or was there another smaller tree?  It saddens me that I cannot remember!  If you ever visited the barn house, chances are, you skinned the cat. How do you skin the cat? Hold on to the tree trunk from the roof, step off, let the tree bend, and carry you to the ground.  Much faster way to get downstairs during a roof gathering.  Everyone did this, including Nell's Dad.  Who didn't do it? Me and Nell (Nell and I?). We both hold to this day that it is dangerous.

When we moved out we heard our landlord Tucker finally did some home improvements. When I saw the new driveway I was borderline angry.  When we lived there the driveway had one actual parking space and a gravel hill. If you parked on the left side of the hill you had to practically pop your tire over a tree root to get there.

That one normal parking space that we had is now a patio... whatever. We had the roof.

DSC_2411

Look at that driveway! That could have prevented a few accidents...

DSC_2410

New fence. New concrete.

Exhibit A: This whole area was a hill

Exhibit B: Approximate location of aforementioned tree root

Exhibit C: General location where Whitney hit Nell's car

Exhibit D: General location where Whitney hit my car

In order to be unbiased with my storytelling, I should mention that Whitney was the only one home when my car horn went off at 5 am on a Saturday.  M wasn't there to call to disconnect the wire (because this happened a lot), so she just had to wait until the horn actually gave out. I'm on my 3rd horn. It doesn't work, I just gave up.

Finally, the bikes. Boys bikes. Are these visitors, or are the new Barn House chickens boys? I knocked on the door, no one came. Suppose I'd rather leave the rest of our house untainted in my memory anyways.

Happy Friday!

3 comments:

  1. Oh the nostalgia! I could cry a river. I cant BELIEVE all that work they did. I'm furious that we never got to enjoy a decent driveway while we lived there.

    It is funny. You could have titled this post "Our old fraternity houses"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tour of the "good ole days"...can't believe the parking! I remember how it was! J looking preppy already! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am proud to say I never skinned the cat. Such danger! And the parking lot...no words. I remember your horn doing that one evening..Makes me laugh thinking of those days!

    ReplyDelete