Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Construction Zone

With all projects we've been working on, the living room has been a baby proofing nightmare.  The tool box and level have been deemed "safe" under close supervision.

DSC_2065-1

Too bad he only wants the pliers.

To avoid the construction site, J and I have spent a lot of time making some new friends in his room.  Novel idea.

DSC_2101-1

DSC_2100

DSC_2092-1

He does seem to go for the eyes.

This is better. Although Mr. Giraffe looks unconvinced. Giraffes are probably freaked out by Roostas.

DSC_2095-1

And finally, are these not the most adorable blue jeans you've ever seen?? I get giddy every time I see them.

DSC_2102-1

Sweet J.

Now a quick tutorial...

As you may have noticed, the blog is also going through a little cosmetic construction.  I have done some wallpapering and I will probably continue to tweak it. Ultimately I was more excited to learn how to change the wallpaper without purchasing the CSS upgrade (I love saying that- acting like I know what CSS is).  If you really want to customize in Word Press eventually you'll have to alter code.  So if you're html-challenged like I am, maybe this will save you a google search.

I have no idea who this guy is, but his comments on the word press user forum were extremely helpful.

How to change your word press blog's wallpaper

Step 1: "Cut a hole in a box". Stopping. Sorry, couldn't resist. Moving on... Go to "My Dashboard" and click Widgets (under appearances).

Step 2: Drag the "text" box onto your sidebar (sidebar is on the far right).

Step 3: Open up the text box by clicking on the far right downward triangle

Step 4: Copy this computer mumbo-jumbo in the text box: <div style="position:fixed;top:0;left:0;background:red url('URL of image') repeat scroll;width:100%;height:100%;z-index:-1000;"></div>

Step 5: See where it says 'URL of image'? You need to put the link for your wallpaper there. So, it'll look something like this: ('http://traveledroad.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/shabbyp_twosoon_floralpaper2.jpg')

Step 6: Click save. That's it!

You should also probably change the color from red to something else (so that when the page is loading it won't initially be bright red and frighten your readers). Just type another color in the code, e.g. background: blue, or whatever.

Now, if you're like me, you might be thinking How do I get a url (link) for my photo?

First, publish your selected photo or background into a post. Just like this.

ShabbyP_TwoSoon_FloralPaper

Make the post "private" so no one will see it.

Right click on the photo in the post and select either "properties" or "view selection source".  This will give you a link to copy into your code.

Or, even simpler, you can do an image search on google for free wallpaper or backgrounds, the resulting images will already have a link to copy.  There are also several virtual scrapbooking sites that have packages of "paper" you can download for free. Mine came from Shabby Princess.

Still thinking my redecorating might be too kitchy, I'm sure I'll change it.

I know you're on the edge of your seat.

5 comments:

  1. It's so fun seeing J all exploratory! And it's funny you mention his room...we never go in there with G and recently went in there to play and he thought it was the funniest thing ever. He also likes to poke eyes...what's up with that?! Also, his jeans are so cute! Is he walking along the wall in that picture? He's growing so fast *tear*!

    ReplyDelete
  2. J's jeans rock!

    Why do kids love dangerous stuff and gross stuff? We can be in a room full of toys and Stephen wants to put his mouth on my shoes or play with an electrical wire.

    And I'm so excited about seeing the outcome of your latest projects. Very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CUTE< CUTE< CUTE!!! Every photo of J...oooh I'm so in love!

    I want to do the wallpaper too...why can't you be here showing me how to do that? People my age need LIVE tutorials! okay...I'll try...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the little Levi's and J hanging out with his buddies in his room. So sweet. W just got a smaller Curious George and he loves him. And thanks for the info on wallpaper! I hope to try this soon. I'm also looking forward to pics of your current projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good grief! i was just coming to tell you how i fiddled with my wallpaper, but you've clearly already figured out how to do it. AND without paying the $15. i was not nearly this smart. i paid. oh well.... looks great!

    ReplyDelete