This lasagna-ish bowl was my favorite. The recipe is a variation of Rachel Ray's Two Sauce Weeknight Lasagna Bowls, but as usual, I had to make some substitutions to avoid Kroger.
Here's that vat of spaghetti sauce.

Once the sauce was made, I cooked the spiral pasta. I didn't take a picture because I'm sure you're growing tired of seeing cooked pasta. If you really miss it, click here.
Then I started working on my white sauce. I've also shown white sauce recently. Perhaps I need to branch out. I'd be so lost without cheese and pasta.
Little nutmeg and pepper to spice it up...

Then toss the pasta, white sauce and a little cheese together...

Layer the pasta in a single serving bowl and top with more cheese.
I made 4 bowls out of 1 pound of pasta. Those are really big servings... It is very reasonable to say you'll get 8 servings. Probably 12 if you are serving children. By the way, this is a kid's dream- spaghetti mixed with mac n' cheese. Can't wait till Roosta can chew.

Then, add a layer of the red meat sauce.
No photo. Just pretend.
The photo I took did not turn out very appetizing.
Top the meat sauce with more cheese and serve.

Nothing gourmet, just comforting. The kind of meal you want to curl up with on the couch while watching a movie. Which is convenient because you probably won't want to move after all that pasta and cheese.
Click for recipe...
Nothing Like Lasagna, Lasagna (adapted from Rachel Ray's Two Sauce Weeknight Lasagna)
Meat Sauce*
Ingredients
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 large carrot, grated or chopped
- 3 tea minced garlic
- 2 T Italian seasoning
- 1 cup beef stock (or, use red wine. I was out.)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups Ragu (or any other spaghetti sauce)
- 1 T brown sugar
- S&P
Directions
- Brown meat over med-high heat
- Add onion and carrot, cook until onion is translucent
- Add in garlic and Italian seasoning
- Stir in beef stock and diced tomatoes. Allow to reduce (cook down) slightly
- Stir in Ragu and brown sugar
- Bring to a low boil, reduce heat and let simmer until you're ready to use (can also be stored in the fridge or frozen)
*Double this recipe if you're looking to make a "vat"
White Sauce (Rachel Ray's)
Ingredients
- 3 T butter
- 3 T flour
- 2 cups milk
- dash of nutmeg (about 1/2 tea)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Reggiano cheese
- S&P
Directions
- Melt butter over medium heat
- Whisk in flour, cook about a minute
- Stir in warmed milk (stir frequently)
- Bring to a bubble, reduce heat
- Add seasonings, cook on low for about 10 minutes until sauce has thickened, stirring frequently
- Toss with pasta and cheese
Layering the Bowls
- Cook 1 lb of spiral pasta according to directions
- Toss pasta with white sauce and cheese
- Layer pasta with sauce in bowls, top with grated Parmesan
- Top with meat sauce and cheese
(can be made ahead in bowls and refrigerated)

I will make this soon! I love red sauce. And there are some things I just don't like about lasagna. The layer process sometimes stresses me out. This looks like a great recipe.
ReplyDeleteDitto...very good idea, quick, yummy, nutritious. Roosta will love it someday. xo
ReplyDeleteoh YUM! I'm with SB...traditional lasagna with all the steps really intimidates me. But this....this I can do! Thanks again for another dinner :) Now, will you post your meat sauce recipe? I usually use a plain ol' jar but I'm sure you have something more interesting...
ReplyDeleteHey Leslie... If you click "continue" at the bottom you'll see the red sauce recipe!
ReplyDeleteThis looks so yummy! I love all of the red sauce possibilities. Thank you for adding to my options! Have a great weekend, L, M, & J.
ReplyDelete[...] note- I sometimes use the sauce from the lasagna bowls, just a slight variation if you’re [...]
ReplyDelete