M and I got the most amazing pepper jack cheese at Costco the other day. We've been putting it on everything. Cheeseburgers. Eggs. And now mac n' cheese. Give me time, there will be more.

Cook up some bowtie pasta, adding in frozen peas the last 5 minutes or so. You want the pasta al dente since it will continue to cook in the oven. Side note, isn't this a cute casserole dish? Mary Lindsey's family gave it to M and I as a wedding gift.

Meanwhile, and this is important, bake 4 strips of bacon in the oven until crispy. I love cooking bacon this way, no splatter or flipping.

Now you can get started on your cheese sauce. Just a simple white sauce mixed with all that pepper jack flavor. Melt butter over medium high heat, whisk in flour, then stir in warm milk. I like to wait and mix in the cheese with the noodles, I find it prevents the sauce from getting clumpy. But, maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Add your white sauce and cheese to the noodles and peas...

Mix it up. Top with more cheese.

Bake at 400F until all melty.
Then, the good stuff. Top with crumbled bacon.

Oh, Bacon.

Enjoy!

Click for recipe
Mac n' Jack
Ingredients
- 8 oz bowtie pasta
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 strips bacon
- 3 T butter
- 3 T flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups grated pepper jack cheese, plus 1/2 cup
Method to the Madness
- Cook pasta according to directions, last 5 minutes add in peas
- Bake bacon in 400F oven for 12-15 minutes on baking rack (say bake bacon baking rack 3x fast)
- Melt butter over medium high heat
- Whisk in flour, cook for 1 minute
- Stir in warmed milk, continue stirring, bring to a bubble. Reduce heat. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes. Sauce will thicken.
- Combine pasta/peas, white sauce and 2 cups cheese in a greased casserole dish
- Top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese, bake in oven for 10 minutes or until cheese on top is melted
- Top with crumbled bacon and serve

And I thought Macaroni and Cheese was boring? Looks yummy as usual Yummy Mummy! J eating this yet?
ReplyDeletethis weekend...
ReplyDeletebacon is now a must in all my recipes. why did I deny my undying love so long?
thanks for the good direcions, looks so good!
THIS-LOOKS-SO-GOOD.
ReplyDeleteBacon...bacon...bacon...bacon bacon. I LOVE BACON!!!!
[...] while this may not technically be a recipe, I can show that we have been putting our pepper jack cheese to good [...]
ReplyDelete