Saturday, October 3, 2009

How to Catch a Roosta

J is all over the place.

I'd like to say I have found a painfully easy way to catch movement, but as you can see, I'm muddling through blur after blur.

DSC_1930

As my amateur mind understands it, you need three things to have a clear picture of a moving Roosta: 1. A fast lens 2. A fast shutter 3. Good light.  You can get away with less light if your lens is fast- meaning it has a very large aperture allowing lots of light in. This allows the shutter to be faster, freezing the image, because of the extra light from the wide open aperture. Really fast lenses are really expensive. You can set a fast shutter on any old lens, while that will freeze J it'll also produce a dark photo without ample light. ISO plays a role, but I'll save that for another day.

So, I open that aperture real wide, let in the natural light, and-

DSC_1933

I suppose I did catch the movement.

Sweet, Mr. Nanners. So photogenic. So still.

DSC_1934

He even poses.

DSC_1937

Then somebody got a little jealous...

DSC_1931

I think shutter speed is a lesson in persistence.  Chase your child around long enough, and you'll catch the one that makes it worthwhile.

DSC_1932

2 comments:

  1. My aperture is too small!!! Megan is a blur every time we shoot...She's on the move. Nanners is almost as cute as J, but NOT QUITE! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to kiss that face.

    ReplyDelete