Look at these...

I could just bite right in. Well, almost.

I decided that Jalapeno Poppers (or Poppes) were a worthy cause for these beauties. M made sure I intended to fry them (which I did), and after a little research I began.
First, cut them lengthwise...

remove seeds and most of the white rind (I like heat, but I'm no martyr).

Then mix up your filling, 4oz of cream cheese and a slice of cheese. I know you're thinking, "gross! a kraft single?". Let me put your mind at ease, it is real cheese. But keep in mind, jalapeno poppers are supposed to taste like they came from the Waffle House. And if I'd had a brick of wibbly velveeta- I'd have used it.

Now, add in some chili powder, cumin, S&P (just eyeball it according to your spicy threshold)

Mix it up and you're ready to stuff your little jalapeno halves...

Time for the outside breading (I think this has a more technical term, but I'm at a loss right now). Next time I'd like to try Paula Dean's with corn meal, but this worked nicely.
1 egg (at room temperature), flour, bread crumbs and a bit of milk (which I realized was necessary after I took the picture)

Dip each stuffed pepper in milk, flour, egg, bread crumbs (in that order). Might be a little much, but I like to guarantee a thick, crispy breading...

On to the frying, but first a quick word... If I've ever told you I didn't like fried food- I was lying. There are a million reasons to not eat fried food, but that doesn't mean it doesn't taste good. Remember, the jalapeno poppers are good because they contain only ingredients you would deny in public. Sarah Barry's mother used to say, "people who say they don't like mayonnaise are lying". I think the same principle applies here.
As far as my frying expertise goes- I have fried like, 2 things in my life (I welcome advice). I have no idea what temperature the oil should be at, or the exact cooking time. I do know that canola and vegetable oil are best (high smoke point, relatively low in saturated and trans fats). I used about an inch (deep) of vegetable oil heated on high in a 2 qt saucepan. I pulled it back to medium/medium high when I started frying. It's ready to go when throwing a drop of water in makes the oil "spit".
These poppes fried up fast- I would say no more than 10 seconds.

Served up with some ceasar dressing...

Mmmmmm. And an antacid for dessert.
Thanks, Poppes!

Sonic can't even make em that good. And your frying technique looks great! That is how I fry everything (which is not that often)...in flour, egg, & breadcrumbs...works like a charm every time. And I openly admit that I love fried food, bacon, and mayonnaise. I might have denied it in the past but I come clean today.
ReplyDeleteHow crazy that the POPPES gave you the PEPPERS you made into POPPERS!!! Say that 10 times.
I think you could make a piece of cardboard looking appetizing!!! I tried to lift one off the page, ah well...have to try these..yumm
ReplyDeleteLoove all things fried. Has anyone tried to bread and fry bacon because I bet that would even be good. You're so good with your creations from scratch and your pics are amazing! Looks good even though I felt a little heartburn from just thinking about them :)
ReplyDeletethese look great. i dearly love a jalepeno popper but have never braved making them myself. i feel inspired! plus, my dad has a garden full these days... another really great way to use a whole jalepeno is to half them and scoop out the insides, fill them with cream cheese, wrap in bacon and bake. its even really good in a slightly less fatty version with low-fat cream cheese and turkey bacon. we call these "armadillo eggs," and they are a real treat!
ReplyDeleteoohh, Bethan, that sounds yummy! Thanks for incorporating bacon. I'm going to try it soon!
ReplyDeleteyour photos are beautiful I love poppers and will definately try this and also the one with bacon. Thanks for sharing these. You have a wonderful Blog. I'm so enjoying photos of your precious baby.
ReplyDelete[...] powder and pepper. Next time I just want to stick a big hunk of mozzarella in them. Or maybe all this frying has just made me want cheese [...]
ReplyDelete