Friday, August 14, 2009

Tall Poppy(seed)

I'm sure you've all made this a time or two (or million)... maybe you ate it at the last "covered dish" event you attended (or maybe you thought it was poppy seed chicken or cornflake potatoes, but it turned out to be that odd pineapple casserole- ugh).  But back to the dinner at hand, the simple casserole.  I think it's important to "remember that we forgot them" (anyone name the movie?). These classics deserve to stand tall.

I never measure my poppy seed chicken. 1 can of cream of chicken, big daisy dollop of sour cream, plenty of Ritz crackers...

DSC_0805

and I like to add green beans, you know, for my health...

DSC_0808

Couple tablespoons of poppy seeds...

DSC_0806

and some diced chicken. I cook mine in olive oil, garlic, onion and S&P first... Or, I use a rotisserie chicken from Costco...

DSC_0814

Finally mix it all together and top with more crack- excuse me, Ritz crackers.  Some folks like to drizzle half a stick of butter or so on top.  Now, I'm not one to shy away from rich food. You'll never hear me say, "oh no, that's too chocolatey". But for some reason, I think the butter is a bit much.  Makes it too... squishy. I like for the light, buttery Ritz to not be drowned out.  But, if Paula Dean is your lady- throw it on.

Bake at 375F for about 30 min, or until bubbly.

We eat our's over some brown rice...

unfortunately, we were really hungry...

and I forgot to take the final picture.

2 comments:

  1. Is that one spells "steered"??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is it that I've never made this? I need to start myself a binder of your recipes, you've never steered me wrong.

    ReplyDelete