Thursday, August 6, 2009

Cookie Monster

Whenever I visit my sister, Anna, I make a point to raid her recipe drawer.  Her husband, Mark, grew up with the kind of Grandmother that cooked a spread for every meal, any given day.  When M and I visited a few Christmas' ago she had baked nine pies. And that was just the pies.  Needless to say, her Molasses Cookie recipe is perfection. Chewy and soft, none of that brittle business.

Sunday afternoon M and I decided we needed something a little sweet, so I pulled out the mixer...

Beat butter, sugar, molasses and an egg together. Then, add your flour, soda, cloves, ginger, salt & cinnamon (full recipe below)

DSC_0790

Then comes the sad part. Chill for 2 hrs. That takes cookie patience. I almost made a batch of chocolate chip to ease my waiting, but M stopped me.  That's okay... just meant I had time to lick these...

DSC_0792

and play with this little booger (and, yes, diaper time is pretty common)...

DSC_0798

Fast forward to my chilled dough. Roll the dough into about 1" balls, and then give them a spin in some sugar.

DSC_0805

Sometimes I'm not sure it's entirely necessary to bake them... but, then I guess we'd miss this part...

DSC_0807

DSC_0808

Who's the cookie monster?

DSC_0813

I think it might be me.

Click below for full recipe



Mark's Grandma's Molasses Cookies (too many possessives?)

Ingredients

3/4 c. butter, softened

1 c. sugar

1/4 c. molasses

1 egg

2 c. flour

2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. cloves

1/2 tsp. ginger

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. cinnamon

Directions

  1. Beat together: butter, sugar, molasses and egg

  2. Add remaining ingredients

  3. Chill for 2 hrs

  4. Roll into balls, roll in sugar

  5. Bake ~9 minutes @ 375 F

4 comments:

  1. Your food photos drive me CRAZY!!! mmmmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks delicious. like the big photos too! you've got food photography down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness...yum! The photos are awesome and make me hungry. I would have also almost (ok, probably would have) made the chocolate chip while waiting for the dough to chill. Who ever decided to put that in a recipe? Pure torture...

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] My hatches would have probably shown up better had I chilled my dough. But, I am just sick of chilling dough.  So, I struck while the dough was warm and the baby was [...]

    ReplyDelete