Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Petit Four FAIL

DSC_0210

Sick.  What an ugly little duckling.  I naively thought that making petit fours would be no big deal... well, the pound cake part was a piece of cake (he, he).  I used yet another recipe from smitten kitchen, a cream cheese pound cake. Delicious.  The petit four part is where it all went to pieces.

DSC_0206

DSC_0208

Apparently you must take care to make sure they are actually the same size.  From there it's all in the icing.  The consistency, color, temperature, recipe... I could go on.  It's an art, and I am reminded why baking, especially decorative baking, is not my cuppa.   It is precise, it requires patience, a steady hand... pretty sure that any past roommate (and most certainly M), can attest to the fact that these are not my strong points.  I figured I could just shove some icing in a zip-lock, clip the corner and produce a beautiful monogram.  This is my J...

DSC_0209

Oh, well.  Fortunantly ugly things can taste good.  So we'll just eat them with our eyes closed.  Live, learn... and get the number of your local bakery.

2 comments:

  1. Good try Linds. Great life lesson though. Looks like the baptism was beautiful. J does look handsome in his romper. You look wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet they tasted like a million bucks :) Three cheers for you for the effort! What a wonderful baptism and so wonderful to be surrounded by family. I know it's all about J, but you look great! :)

    ReplyDelete