This recipe is a mish-mash of Guy Fieri (yes, he is highly annoying, but he grabbed my interest this time... well, his time slot is right before Bobby Flay) and Rachel Ray, with what I had on hand. If you want to go by the book- RR's are easier and not so rich, but in my opinion just as good. Guy's are very rich.
First, brown up an onion, 1/2 green pepper and some garlic. Throw the garlic (minced) in last so it doesn't get bitter.
*If you're not big on onions and green peppers- leave them out! Just be sure to add in some garlic powder later.

Quick note- these pictures were all taken at night in my kitchen. Oh the glories of the 35mm f/1.8 lens. LOVE IT!
Set the vegetables aside to cool. Work on your meat mixture.
I didn't take detailed pictures of the mixing because the process just wasn't that pretty. Words will have to suffice.
Put about 2 lbs of ground beef in a large bowl and mix in (your clean hands are really the easiest) the following: 1 cup of bread crumbs that have been mixed with about 1/4 cup of milk (keeps the meatballs from being dry), spices, parmesan cheese, a beaten egg and S&P (full recipe below).
Then, roll into about 1" meatballs...
Until you have a little army.
Now, on how to cook them, I am split. The first time I made them I baked them. The second time I cooked them with oil in a skillet (like Guy). Actually, I'm not split- I prefer baking them like RR. 450F, 10-15min. Less mess, less grease. That being said, they were tasty in the skillet.
After the meatballs are cooked it's up to you- spaghetti, subs, soup, on their own. I froze them. Then, when I'm ready to make them into subs I defrost and heat them up with some regular old marinara (the meatballs have so much flavor on their own I found using straight Ragu is fine). I use Italian sub rolls from Costco, place 4 meatballs inside, cover with mozzarella, provolone, pepper jack- whatever floats your boat. Bake in a 450F oven till all bubbly.

This picture doesn't really do the sub justice- but, I was hungry.
Happy Eats!
Meatball Subs
Adapted from Guy Fieri and Rachel Ray
Ingredients
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tea red pepper flakes
- 1 T dried parsley (fresh herbs would be great- didn't have any)
- 1 T oregano
- 1 T basil
- 1 tea salt
- 1 tea pepper
- 1 T worchestcher sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
Directions
- Brown onion, green peppers and garlic in about 2 T of olive oil. Add garlic last as to not burn it.
- Let vegetables cool.
- Mix bread crumbs and milk
- Mix together meat, vegetables, bread crumbs and rest of ingredients until well incorporated (clean hands work well)
- Shape into 1" meatballs
- Cook by either baking in a 450F oven on a cookie sheet for 10-15 minutes, or, over medium heat in a skillet with 2T olive oil.
- Place meatballs in an Italian sub roll, cover in cheese of your choice, bake in a 450F oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until bubbly.

oh yum. I've never been a fan of the "meatball sub" for the same gross subway images as well. Thank you for the inspration to try something new and delicious!
ReplyDeletea "little army" of meatballs...LOVE it! Will we get to have these in Feb. too? :o)
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! When Linton reads this he'll send me to the store for the ingredients...he LOVES meatball subs. The photos of your meatballs reminds me of the meatballs my mom made for her meatballs and spaghetti recipe. Brought back great memories! I would try to make these for M and C while they were younger but they preferred ground beef with Ragu sauce. I'm so thankful their taste has matured over the years! :)
ReplyDeleteI know its Guy's recipe, but YUM-O!
ReplyDeleteLooks yummy, and I love the new lens! Those pictures are amazing!
ReplyDelete