Monday, December 28, 2009

The 24th & 25th

This year M and I decided to have Christmas Eve and morning in our own house with J.  I am extremely sentimental about things like that.  I love the mystery and awe that surrounds that 24 hour period; I have been so excited to create that same ambiance for J.  Our 10 month old.  Who eats things off the floor. But, still.

Christmas Eve we went to our church's beautiful candlelight service.  Afterwards, we went to dinner with our friends Brian & Rebecca, and Malcolm, Lauren & Allie. Originally, Lauren and I wanted to do a big Christmas Eve dinner at her house.  Then we got realistic.  We were not, however, being realistic about the number of restaurants open on Christmas Eve.

Chili's has such a holiday glow.


It actually worked out perfectly, J could stand on the table and Allie could throw brocoli.   I think Griswald-like Christmas' are a right of passage for any new family.  A ham served on china would have been no more fun.

See?


Christmas morning we turned on the Christmas lights and AMC's 24 hour Christmas Vacation marathon and got to it.


Growing up, stockings were one of my favorite parts of Christmas. Needless to say, Santa had fun this year.







Another important aspect of Christmas morning is something special for breakfast.  This year, I made Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls for gifts, and saved a pan for Christmas morning.



(Dad: If it was at all possible to mail you some, I would have)

On to presents. J's "big" present didn't make it - even though Amazon told me it would be here by the 24th - girrr. I quickly reminded myself that a.) Christmas isn't about gifts, it's about celebrating the Savior of mankind, and b.) J has no clue what is going on, and furthermore he really just wants the TV remote anyways.

We did 1 present every 20-30 minutes or so. Open, play, process, repeat. Here are some (blurry & dark) highlights.



Grandma Sue and Grandpa Jay gave J his own laptop so we can blog at the same time. J loves keyboards and mouses.

My parents were with Anna's family this year.  I hate that we were unable to be with them this year, distance is a pain.  On the bright side, I am so thankful we were able to spend Christmas with my entire family last year, and that J and I made a wonderful trip to Arizona just a few weeks ago.



He knew just what to do with it.



more presents and wrapping paper...

(notice that J has not let go of the old cell phone we gave him 2 days ago)



followed by a much needed nap.

Then we loaded up the car and went to Momo and Popo's to celebrate with M's family.


YAY for the natural light!

YAY for boxes!



J loved the classic toys from Momo and Popo...



Uncle Chris and Aunt Mary Lindsey got J the most adorable backpack for baby school.











J gave everyone finger paintings...



and hugs.



M, Chris, Mary Lindsey, J and I gave Linton & Janice/Mom & Dad/Momo & Popo pictures from the photo shoot Chris arranged with Aubie in October.  Janice loves Aubie, so this was a hard secret to keep.



We finished up presents...



and the rest of the day we ate, played and enjoyed being with family...











M's extended family came over for Christmas dinner... and then it was time to go home, very thankful for a wonderful Christmas.



I'll sign off with a verse from my favorite Christmas carol.  This song gives me chills.  "and the soul felt its worth... thrill of hope..."  All of history pivoted at that very moment. What else could we possibly need?
O holy night! The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of Our dear Saviour's birth.
Long lay the world In sin and error pining,
'Til He appear'd And the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope The weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks A new and glorious morn.

6 comments:

  1. Great pictures of a great day! I wish I had gotten Mr. Bubble in my stocking. J is precious, and it looks like he enjoyed his first Christmas! I hope we can see y'all sometime soon in 2010! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsey -- Great photos!! I can't get over how much J has grown since I first started following your blog!! Hope 2010 is as wonderful for you all as 2009 has been.

    Lynn Beck

    p.s. I figured out how to get an account so I can comment on your blog (which I love).

    ReplyDelete
  3. so fun! J looks like he had such a great time. The boxes were G's favorite as well.... and what an adorable little monkey back pack :) so fun for y'all to start your christmas eve and day traditions now. i had a little tear it was so sweet. Miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun to have an up-close-and-personal-look at yours and J's Alabama Christmas. Your blogs are a present to us every time you post! Thanks...Love and miss...xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your posts are always a delight to read! Thanks for making our Christmas Day so special! As a technology teacher I love the laptop Grammie Sue and Grandpa Jay gave J! That is cool! It's also so J to still love the old cell phone over all the toys he received.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so many things to comment on!
    1. love the chili's option! very michael scott of you. but i know the feeling- we have been known to do hueys on christmas or tgiving night. then i always feel guilty for making the waitresses work on a holiday!
    2. i made torrent get on here to look at how cute the roosta xmas was (and yes, i know im taking the christ out of christmas when i say xmas but im lazy. sorry) and all he could say was "those are some killer cinnamon rolls!"
    3. i love the mr. nanners-esque backpack! and how he didnt take it off when he played with his toys!
    4. the tongue sticking out in the picture above the backpack!
    thanks for all the pix! im going to keep the roosta xmas card up year round i think!

    ReplyDelete