Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Phx Zoo

A few days into our trip the Arizona sun finally came through. We immediately loaded up the car and drove up to the Phoenix Zoo.  J just would not stop talking about seeing the monkeys.

Quick warning: This post contains a ridiculous amount of pictures. I tried to sort through the cute, and believe it or not, I left out a bunch.  Not for the faint of heart. You've been warned.



Whether we were squinting to see the common duck, or face to face with an exotic giraffe, J loved all the animals' fences equally.



Grandpa Jay showed Roosta the sights while we strolled the diaper bag. Clever kid.



"Oh, helllo"





The Phx Zoo has an entire section designated to young children.  J had a blast on the tractors.  Seriously.  I didn't even manipulate it for a photo-op.









Something new I learned about my Dad? He's a great photographer.



Something new I learned about J? He does not like petting zoos. Just ask that cow.

Giraffes are okay though.



And, slides? Slides are the best. Well, after fences.







Little People's Discovery Farm cows are a little less intimidating.





Except maybe for this one.  Seriously Grammie, don't let go.



Finally the main event.

Monkeys.

If I was thinking we wouldn't have left Mr. Nanners in the car.

Phoenix Zoo has a Monkey "environment" that you walk into. (this sounds better than saying we went in the monkey's cage.)  Even so, the zoo attendant's speech was a little off-putting:

"Please don't touch the monkeys. They will not hurt you, but if you touch them, they will bite. And they do pee on everything so wash your hands when you come out."

It was at that point that we decided to picnic.



The baboons were actually a lot more receptive. One walked straight up to the glass and went nose to nose with J.

We didn't quite catch that, so just pretend there is a baboon on the other side.



We had the best time.





And FOUR hours later we made a slow walk back to the car.  Our monkey fell asleep on the way home, eating a banana.

4 comments:

  1. Yes...Jay is a fabulous photographer! Linton and I are still using the photo he took of us at your rehearsal dinner as a "recent" photo of us. :) What a great time you all had! I love all the smiling faces! J is really proud of those two bottom teeth, isn't he? The camera just loves him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT post! With great pictures!! Glad to see he's sportin' the fire truck shoes, too. I love the two bottom teeth. Looks like such a fun trip. Next stop, the Memphis zoo! I can't promise any monkey environments, but the Polar Bears are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dad's photos are very impressive. Love the tractor pics. Why weren't we into photography in high school? We had so much time. We could be pros by now.

    This post makes me want to get S to a zoo ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each of those bazillion pictures is precious. So fun! Going to the zoo with a child is like seeing it through new eyes all over again. Yall look like you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete