Thursday, July 2, 2009

Vader Wouldn't Do That

DSCF0067

Last Thursday when Anna, Riley, Megan, J and I went to the Space and Rocket Center we were greeted not only by Saturn V, but by the characters of Star Wars.  Apparently Lucas Films has a traveling exhibit of memorabilia.   Princess Leia and the storm troupers were pretty lighthearted (Anna overheard one storm trooper say to another, "I gotta get to FedEx- my real job").  Darth Vader, however, never broke character.  To be honest, I found him a bit intimidating.  J was too enthralled in his bottle to get a photo, but handing him off to the dark lord for a photo op probably wasn't the best idea anyways.

This encouter with Darth Vader reminded me of an interview I heard the other day on NPR.  The man being interviewed had worked on the film, Night in the Museum 2. The movie takes place in the Smithsonian this time.  When asked what exhibits or people were most difficult to work around, he had a surprising answer- Darth Vader.  Apparently Vader is always accompanied by one of Lucas Films' "handlers" in order to protect the integrity of the character.  The director would ask Darth Vader to make some sound (I suppose he can't really make a face) or say some line, and the handler would simply respond: "Vader wouldn't do that".  End of conversation.

Immediately the conversation I had with SB the other day came to mind.  We were discussing how to stay true to yourself when meeting new people, without seeming off-putting or unfriendly.  Kinda made me think it'd be nice to have a handler.  "No, Lindsay doesn't play team sports or eat hamburgers without cheese.  You must respect her integrity. Thank you".  "Oh, I'm sorry, is that a team building activity?  Lindsay wouldn't do that".  You could be presented so accurately as a person while avoiding awkward confrontations.  Of course it could be limiting to never have the freedom to step outside your normal character, "Plane tickets for Italy leaving tomorrow?  No, Lindsay is not spontaneous".   Makes me wonder if Vader would have gotten a kick out of holding J and smiling (or breathing happily?) for a picture.  If you're like me and just don't watch A New Hope or The Empire Strikes Back you could believe that Vader was a big softy.  Guess we'll never know.

3 comments:

  1. A handler would be sooo nice! Avoiding confrontation may be my life motto. Pretty sure it's not a good one though...
    I'm glad you're sticking with the "Lindsay doesn't watch that" regarding Star Wars :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is an awesome story lindsay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hilarious! i totally need a handler. i don't watch Star Wars or eat hamburgers without cheese and would love for my handler to explain that to everyone for me.

    ReplyDelete