Sunday, April 26, 2009

That's Amore

dsc03810

M and I usually spend Saturday mornings running errands, actually running, golfing (M), and entertaining J.  All this activity leaves us pretty hungry.  So the past couple of weekends we have enjoyed spending Saturday afternoon in the kitchen, preparing a time consuming (but so worth it) carb-loaded dinner.  This Saturday was no exception and we decided to try something new- homemade pizza.  We did, however, stay around our comfort zone since most of the recipes I've posted are Italian, and M has become quite the bread pro.  I adapted the recipe found on the smitten kitchen blog and found many of her tips very helpful.   However, we'll keep tweaking our crust in hopes of obtaining that "Mellow Mushroom" quality.

Pizza Dough

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup lukewarm water

  • 3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast

  • 1 teaspoon honey

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

  • 1 teaspoon salt

  • 1/2 cup wheat flour

  • 1 cup all purpose flour


dsc03738

Whisk together water and yeast... then, add honey, salt and olive oil...

dsc03741

Mix in flour...

dsc03742

Turn out onto floured surface, knead for about 2 minutes. Form into ball...

dsc03745

Put in oiled bowl, cover and let rise until doubled (about an hour and a half).  Turn out onto floured surface, gently push down, cover, and let rise for another 15 min.  Then, roll out dough...

dsc03797

Place on baking sheet (or pizza stone) covered in cornmeal.  Poke dough with a fork to prevent excessive bubbling.  Brush dough with garlic butter... Top with spinach alfredo sauce (recipe below)...

dsc03803

Then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, grilled and sliced chicken (marinade below), and then more cheese (you cannot over do the cheese)...

dsc03806

Bake in 500F oven for 7 to 10 minutes.  Mmmmmm....

dsc03808

This meal made possible by one of our trusty baby carriers...

dsc03750

Click below for spinach alfredo recipe and grilled chicken marinade...

Spinach Alfredo Sauce

  • Melt 3 T of butter over med-high heat

  • Add 1 tea of minced garlic (careful not to burn the garlic)

  • Whisk in 2-3 T of flour, cook about a minute

  • Stir in 2 cups of milk, continue to stir until sauce has thickened (add more milk if too thick)

  • Stir in 1 cup of Italian blend cheese

  • S&P, dash of nutmeg

  • Mix in drained/defrosted frozen spinach- about 1/4 of a package


Simple Chicken Marinade

  • 2 T white wine vinegar

  • 2 T olive oil

  • 1/2 tea dried thyme (fresh if you have it)

  • 1 tea lemon juice

  • 1 tea minced garlic

  • S&P

  • red pepper flakes

4 comments:

  1. Michael and I are trying to get MM quality pizza as well! If you achieve this goal, please let me know! (Pizza looks awesome!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can MAIL one to AZ...we don't mind leftovers...I agree with sb..mmmmm,yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] I took leisurely runs, long showers and cooked all by myself (although, I have to say, I did miss my little helper).  This is the first visit my parents have made since J was born.  It was so fun to watch them [...]

    ReplyDelete