
Basically, this meant nothing matched, we had colored lights (I was appalled that anyone would be so dull as to use clear lights), and about half of the ornaments had sentimental value. Frames made out of yarn with our pictures in the middle, that sort of thing.

My favorite ornaments were the clay one's that my mom and a friend (I think that's right?) had made when we were little. Each of us had one with our name on it. They were quite elaborate. Skiers, teddy bears, baby Jesus', etc.

Every year we would decorate the tree together. Christmas music playing, the whole shabang. I LOVED that night.

And, I SO cared who put which ornament up, which ornament went on last, and on and on. I hope to carry on this tradition when our children are old enough to not eat ornament hooks.

This year I decided to make some VERY simple baked ornaments, and actually let J do the creative part. We can treasure the little strokes of his hands while decorating our funky little Christmas tree.

As you can probably tell from his face, J took this task very seriously.

Loved every second.

Now, keep in mind, we are no Darby's around here.
And... J loved painting so much that he had a temper tantrum when I took the paintbrush away... then, I had to change AP's diaper, so I caved on my timeout threat and gave said paintbrush back with finger paints instead, where J happily obviated one of the snowmen and candy canes into a brown mess. But, it's always nice to have another indoor activity available.

It all adds to the charm and memory, doesn't it? ;-)
I used this recipe from allrecipes.com, I halved it. Made about 10 ornaments. Assuming we break and lose most of them... I'm hoping we can hang onto 1.
I painted them in all red or green acrylic paint, let it dry, then let J go wild. After that dried, I outlined or wrote on the ornaments with a gold paint pen. After that dried, I applied 2 coats of glossy varnish. A few of them I wrote J and AP's name on, I know those of you bursting with creativity could really make some cute ones.
Now, I suppose we'd better put up our little tree. On top of a table. It looks NOTHING like Christmas at our house, guess we'd better get on it!

I love this! Sweet little J faces :)
ReplyDeleteSo what type of paint did you use before the finger paint? Not sure I have the crafting skills to try this at our house, but I'd really love to!
These are adorable, Darby! :) I'm impressed with his ability to concentrate so intently. I'm sure your Charlie Brown tree looks just perfect. I love the hodge podge approach myself.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun idea. I linked you in my blog post.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to try this when S is a little older and maybe more interested in crafts. I wish he would color, paint, or something!!!
Stephen Grande informed me that he hated coloring and crafts as a child. Maybe my second child will be artistic. If not I'm going to borrow J for a week every summer.
I love an 'old fashioned' Charlie Brown tree with colored lights! That's totally our style!
J's tantrum was simply his way of showing you his "passion" for developing his right brain mindset with painting. He realizes America is entering into the conceptual age and he's preparing for it! ;) Good job, Mom and J!
ReplyDeleteFinally have access to my computer after 5 wks in OZ. Now OZ was great, but what's greater than international travel? Answer: Seeing our beaut grandson's artwork! You're a good mommy to let J do the decorating...his artwork is magic and you will treasure that ornament photo FOREVER...!!! I know I will.
ReplyDelete