Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Snippets

I've done it again, gotten behind on blogging... so, here we go again, down another unrelated rabbit hole in order to keep my memory recorded and the grandparents happy.

I'll start with the cutest... J LOVES to color. I'm talking, holds-his-attention-span-for-an-hour-cries-when-he-gets-down-LOVES to color.  I LOVE that crayons are washable.  And that he is sitting on a phone book and a text-book to reach the table.  I have a gillizon more cute photos of this, but I need to transfer them from my camera to the computer.


Because... the above picture is from my IPHONE! That's right, M and I entered the 21 century and finally bought smart phones.  Admittedly, I always thought iphones were unnecessary.  Actually, I still think it's completely unnecessary-- I just now also think it's awesome.


Alright, this next part is really for me... and family who wants to know every detail. So, skip to the next picture if you want- I'll understand.


Signs... Within the last week M and I have really been working with J on manners, words and sign language.  We knew we needed to jump on it when J started communicating in his own way- like throwing his cup.  And wow, were we impressed- it is phenomenal what toddlers are capable of.  Within hours J had "please" down.  Something about getting what he wants whenever he rubs his belly was easy to learn (yes, it's technically his chest, but J does this really cute all over movement with both hands when he feels passionately about something).  "Please" and really enforcing "all done" has cut down significantly on the throwing of food and the "EH, EH, EH, EH!" whine all parents know and love.  I'm not saying he's a robot now, just that it is SO COOL watching him communicate.  And, even cooler seeing how excited it makes him to be understood. He gets so excited when he tells me he's "all done". I could go on, it's so cute... and cool, and have I said cute?


Sounds... J is also talking more and more.  I've read at least 2 blog posts today where parents listed their children's current vocabulary.  I immediately felt panicked because I've never recorded that. SO, here are some of J's words as of now (15.5 months)... Ball, Dada, Mama, more, uh-oh, moo (cow says?), woof (dog says?), kitty, bye-bye, hi, baby, book (I think that's what he's saying, I'm counting it), beep (where's your belly button?), and he identifies his head and nose when you ask where they are (okay, not technically a word, but communication)... and I can't think of any more... I'm sure M will remind me and he seems to be adding to the list daily.  I would say that J does like to run far more than he likes to talk, but he does enjoy getting his say in.  Lately we can SEE him understanding the meaning of words, pointing to that object or person and wanting to learn the pronunciation. Cool. Cute.


and finally, kisses... He's been blowing kisses for a month or so, now he will give me a kiss on the face when I ask, and even voluntarily.  Ohhhhhhhhh it's so sweet.



Fabric... Did I get at least some of you back with my picture?


As I recently posted, I am going to hang pages from Madeline in baby girl's nursery.  Here's the progression...


No need to change our nursery it's neutral -->Maybe we could just get a few new pictures --> Well, now the wall color really doesn't match the new pictures --> New bedding would sure be cute with the new wall color...


So, that's where we are on not changing the reasonably neutral nursery.  M is very sweet.  And I think he might be a push-over when it comes to his daughter.


Walls... a cool, light TRUE gray.  Not blue. I know gray has blue in it, but I want gray. Something like this...



Which brings us back to the fabric... my SWEET Mom has agreed to make baby girl's bedding and curtains! She is going to do a crib skirt, crib sheet and curtains.  We took off the bumper for about 10 reasons with J, so we're not going to mess with that- yes, I know they look good. I'm so excited, and SO overwhelmed. Did y'all know how many pieces of fabric are in the world?  I did not.  I had never heard of Michael Miller or Amy Butler.  Now, after the past few days I can probably name 30 of their fabrics.


So. Here's the constants: Gray walls, Madeline pictures.


Too much yellow and gray? I'm also concerned that the background of the birds is really more of a dark blue than gray.



This is cute, too... Who knew, right? Maybe a little too grown up, we're not very formal people...



This is more colorful... and I like it for some odd reason-- but, it's really busy.  And I think M gagged a little when I showed it to him.


Maybe a little too into the French theme. We are not French.




Or, there are complementary, bolder, colors?  Any of you know what those would be?!


Then again, my friend (and sewer) Suzie just sent me this. Beautiful. Maybe very simple and solids are the way to go?



Have I driven you crazy, yet?  You can only imagine how many emails my Mom will have to sift through.


I'm suddenly very insecure about posting my "taste" on the world wide web.


I AM NOT A DECORATOR.


AT ALL.


I want something simple- yet, a little funky and modern.


Maybe you all could just tell me...


7 comments:

  1. Love that J likes to color so much...we'll have fun when I get there. I think when you see the right fabric, you'll absolutely know it! I really like the yellow birds in the black-leafed trees, but M has to like it too. I think babies enjoy looking a bold patterns, so I vote for patterns. Love yous...xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that J is coloring!!! How cute!! And LOVE your fabrics!!!! SOO cute!! Decorating is simply surrounding yourself with things you love, so go with what you love! But...if you want my opinion--love the gray/yellow scheme you have going!! I think the gray totally blends just great with the purple one. Can't wait to see it come together!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it wonderful that J likes to color?! Thanks for the update on what all he can do now! That's amazing! If you're taking a vote on the fabrics, I, too love the yellow/gray combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I love rabbit trails! J is adorable, and so are his artistic and linguistic abilities. I just wish I could hear these words myself! I'm so proud of you showcasing your taste for the www...Everything looks great. Like your mom said...You will know when you've found the right one! I just love the direction you're taking. Madeline rox. Love and miss and will see you soooooon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Madeline pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] going to make valances for the 2 windows out of the bird fabric. I LOVE the bird fabric. This is not the first one I picked out, but I was worried about the coloring on the other one, and I love this one even more. Love, love, [...]

    ReplyDelete
  7. choosing fabrics are always soooo overwhelming - glad you found something you love!

    also, J's coloring skills are precious. as are his signs and words. i'm only sad I can't see the cuteness in person :( but so glad to get a full update in Memphis!

    ReplyDelete