Anyone still have leftover ham in their fridge? No, because that was 2 weeks ago and I should have posted this 10 days ago? Yes, I know... But, just in case you have some in the freezer- or you are okay with ham that is more than 2 weeks old- here is Ham Fried Rice. When I included a leftover ham pasta recipe in my Easter post my Mom commented that I should whip up some ham fried rice. These days I'm learning just how much a mother knows (wink), so I listened...
There are a gazillion ways to make this- and I'm sure a hundred things about this recipe are not authentic. Add in different vegetables, substitute the meat, put in more or less spices. This is just how I make it.
Ham Fried Rice

Ingredients
- 1 cup uncooked white, long grain rice
- Butter, lots of butter
- Canola or Vegetable oil, also, lots of oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup (approx) chopped, cooked ham (I used leftover spiral with a glaze)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup frozen peas, or frozen mixed vegetables
- Soy sauce, to taste
- 1 tea seseame oil
- 1/2 tea garlic powder
- 1/2 tea ground ginger
- S&P to taste
Directions
- Cook rice according to package directions (2 cups of water to a boil, 1/2 tea salt, add rice, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes)
- Allow rice to cool COMPLETELY then refridgerate. This does make a difference- stops the fried rice from being gummy.
- Heat about 2 T of oil* in a wok or large skillet over med- high heat. Add in onions and ham. Saute until onions are translucent and ham is browning on the edges. *the amount of oil is approximate, bottom line, good fried rice has quite a bit of oil and butter.
- Remove onions and ham from the wok, set aside.
- Scramble the 2 eggs in the wok, using the leftover oil/grease from the ham and onions. Set scrambled eggs aside.
- Add the frozen vegetables to the wok. Looking for them to thaw and brown slightly. Set vegetables aside.
- Crank up the heat a little more. Add in more oil- 3 to 4 T and about 3 T of butter (again, use your judgement- but, the rice will absorb a lot). Wok should be smokin' hot at this point after being on med-high heat for so long
- Add the cold rice to the wok, stir around (hence the name, stir fry). Allow to fry for a few minutes.
- Once rice is beginning to brown, add in soy sauce (about 1 to 2 T, you can always add in more, it is strong), seseme oil, garlic powder, ginger and S&P.
- When the rice is fried up to your liking, add in the ham, onions, eggs and vegetables you had set aside.
- Let it all cook together for a couple of minutes, and serve hot.
Enjoy!
Next...
I love avocados, they taste like butter. They were on sale and lookin' good. What follows is the thought process of a pregnant woman in the grocery store:
"Avocados! I want to eat 10 of them for dinner! M will want something else... BACON! We could add bacon! Oooo, I love BLTs. Let's have BLTs... with AVOCADO!"
Nothing original about this panini, but it was oh so tasty.
Avocado BLTs on Sourdough
Yes, I'm sure focaccia would have been delicious too, but I was at Kroger not Publix (I hear those of you booing and hissing) and the sourdough looked good- and the bakery had pre-sliced it.
Here is M's panini. He likes it light on the avocado. I told him if he feels that way- I won't think of wasting it on him.

Here is my panini. Heavy on the avocado.

Ingredients (to make 2 sandwiches)
- 4 slices of sourdough bread (you could certainly use another type of bread, just make sure it's crusty enough to hold up to the panini press)
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Spinach (confession: I used romaine, spinach would be better use spinach)
- 1 tea lemon juice
- S&P
- 6 slices of bacon
- Mozzarella cheese (2 slices, or 1/2 cup shredded)
- Basil Mayo (mayo, basil, lemon juice, garlic powder, thyme just taste as you go. I made far too little to measure.)
Directions
- Heat panini press. If you do not have one, heat a skillet over med-high heat. You can use a brick covered in foil or another pan to press the sandwich down.
- Mix up the basil mayo.
- Cook the bacon... Normally, I like bacon in the oven if it's going to stand-alone. But, I think the microwave is easiest for a sandwich. Place bacon on paper towels on a plate. Microwave about 2-3 minutes, or until desired crispness.
- Butter outside of the bread, basil mayo on the inside.
- Build your sandwiches: mayo, spinach, tomato, avocado - stop right here and S&P your veggies and give a little squirt of lemon juice. Continue: bacon, cheese, top piece of bread (with basil mayo).
- Cook sandwiches until cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.
Again, you can throw any kind of cheese, meat or vegetables in there. Egg, cheese and bacon is also delicious.
Of course, cooking brings along it's messes...
Good thing J is an expert with the swiffer.


Thanks, J.
Happy cooking!

Yum yum! I want to make both of those recipes!!!
ReplyDeleteI would want my sandwich heavy on the avocado!
S is obsessed with our Swiffer. I'm thinking of buying him his own.
Yum! Who doesn't love a good meal "from the Orient" (as Torrent calls it.)
ReplyDeleteAlso, I once heard a comedian talking about how his wife likes avocados, saying, "I don't know why anyone would want that texture in their mouth." I used to agree, but I have acquired a taste for them (and their texture). I will try the BLT very soon!
I think J has his grammy's knees.
ReplyDeleteWhile I was posting my blog this morning, dad came in saying he'd just read yours and how did BLT's sound for lunch? Wow...when someone else is preparing, I'll eat anything! ha...but now I see why he was so inspired...heavy on the avacado for me definitely!
ReplyDeleteAlso, thanks for admitting I might know a thing or two, except you know very well my ham fried rice was a bit simpler...ham, rice, egg, and chives. I could have really overeaten on your batch...looked delicious.
As always, J with the Swiffer was my favorite! It's all in the training. :o)
oh yum. I've recently aquired a taste for the old avocado like Nell...and they're delicious. Of course, I usually use mine in guacamole (makes me miss a good marg!) I think I'll make your BLTs soon, thanks for the basil mayo idea :) also, G also loves our swiffer....same with the swiffer duster...which is less frustrating for him. Basically, if it's a wand and used as a tool...i think it's a child's favorite, ha! J is so cute in his diaper and socks, haha!
ReplyDelete