Thursday, April 15, 2010

(Not really) Chicken Marsala

Is it fair to call this chicken Marsala, when no Marsala wine or mushrooms were used? Probably not. But, it's the same concept... and it was tasty, so here goes.  (Substitute half of the chicken stock for Marsala wine and saute mushrooms and onions for the sauce if you are leaning towards trying the traditional- aka leaning towards going to the store. Emeril's recipe is what I was improvising off of. As you would expect, it is more involved.)

I served it with garlic mashed potatoes (quarter and boil unpeeled, red potatoes for ~15 minutes in salted water. Mash and add warm whole milk, butter, 1 tsp garlic powder, S&P) and broccoli and green beans (didn't have enough of either- like I said, avoiding the store).

This picture is not awesome. It was late. I was hungry. Pretend more of it is in focus. As M says, I over do the "blurry food pictures".



Kind of Chicken Marsala

Ingredients

  • 2 chicken breasts, butterflied and pounded thin between wax paper

  • Salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion powder

  • 3/4 cup flour

  • 2 T olive oil and 1 T butter (approximate)

  • 1 cup chicken stock

  • 2 T heavy cream


Directions

  1. Butterfly the chicken breasts and place between wax paper. Pound with mallet (or rolling pin, shoe, whatever you have) until 1/4 inch thick.

  2. Mix together flour and seasonings on a plate.

  3. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, covering completely. Shake off excess.

  4. Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat.

  5. Once skillet is ready, add the butter (if you add the butter earlier it'll burn and be all brown).

  6. Add the chicken. Cook till brown, flip. Once both sides of chicken are browned (should be almost cooked through at this point) remove from the skillet and keep warm (in foil or something).

  7. Add chicken stock to skillet. Reduce heat, let simmer and reduce by half.

  8. Stir in cream.

  9. Add chicken back into the skillet with the sauce. Allow to simmer together for about 10 minutes. You are looking for the chicken to be cooked through, and the sauce to thicken and reduce. Almost making a gravy.

  10. Serve hot with sauce on top, enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. No such thing as too many blurry food pictures...Can't wait to try this one! I love all of your improvisations. You are so creative with what's left in the pantry and fridge! Waste not, want not, right? Keep the recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope dad sees this! tee hee....xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my!

    And tell M I love the blurry food pics. It's bokah. (sp?)

    ReplyDelete