Monday, November 16, 2009

13.1 Miles

Finishing that 5K was the hardest thing I ever had to do. I ate more fettuccine alfredo, and drank less water than I have in my entire life.

-Michael Scott

M and I ran our first half-marathon this past Saturday, and when you're delirious on mile 10, Michael Scott can really make you laugh. The course was less than creative, so when we were doubling back over that miserable 4 lane road we needed a good laugh.  Also not sure if it's inspirational or disheartening to see the guy running 5 1/2 minute miles pass you on his way back.  Maybe it was awe. Or envy. Or hunger.

M and I ran together until about mile 11 (and these days, we're gonna go ahead and call that a date) and finished at 2:00:07 and 1:58:59 respectively, which was dead-on our ~9 minute mile goal.  Those of you who know both of us are thinking that I've reversed our times.  After all, M is faster than me and has beat me in every race we've done this year, like the Cotton Row 10K or Cookie Dash 5K. So, how did I barely edge out my former-soccer-playing-perpetually-in-shape-even-if-he-decided-to-drink-no-water-and-only-eat-oreos-husband? Well, let's break it down, I went to spinning or the gym 3+ times a week like usual, plus, once a week for 6 weeks I went on a long run with M. What did M do? That long run with me once a week, for 6 weeks. That's it. And it took me almost 11 miles to squeak past him. Oh well... natural abilities aside- I win! :)

Here we are back at home with our medals... ( in front of the tree where we take all our pictures)

DSC_2664

And with J after the race, he couldn't be more excited that we had finished. Or, he's just really excited about the cup we brought home with us. One or the other.

DSC_2667

Thanks to Momo and Popo for watching J!

The experience of running for way too long with 1000 other people was awesome, the weather was beautiful, and the pretzel rods passed out on mile 9 were crisp (We actually passed that one up. Can you believe it? Now, a saltine I would have been all about...).

But, the best part about running 13.1 miles? The 13.1 thousand calories you can justify eating afterwards.

DSC_2671

Hope you all have a great Monday!

I think we can feel our legs again today. Ice cream really helps with that. Should probably continue treatment through this week.

*Oops, originally posted the title as 13.2 instead of 13.1. Can I say it felt like 13.2?

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations you two! I don't know who's daughter you are Linds. "How'd you get so sporty?" Love the beaut giggle on J...cute toofers! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, congratulations!!! yes, those 13+ thousand calories make every drop of sweat and side ache worth it. So fun for y'all to run together, and way to beat M out at the end. Well done friend! Lets meet and run one together?!? Also, J is precious as always. Can't let it go unsaid :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go!! Love J's reaction...Eat as much as you want. I think I would use this as my excuse for around a year after running.

    ReplyDelete