Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Glory in the Mundane & A Little Oscar Fun

I just can't seem to get my act together to blog lately!  I actually have a very cute post on the Roosta's first haircut that I intended to post today.  But, seeing as I didn't load my pictures onto the computer last night, that won't be happening till tomorrow (or Thursday).  Haircut posts are particularly dry without photos.

Blogs are supposed to chronicle the mundane (or at least this one is), but lately the daily routine has been very mundane.

(When I was in 7th grade our pastor at the time, Jim Holland, used to say "find the glory in the mundane".  I love that, makes me feel like even eating a cookie can be something beautiful.)

And I need to believe that when Baby #2 really starts to push the nausea envelope in the evenings.  This is translating to me sleeping close to 11 hours a night.  This does not mean I am waking up at 11 am, it means I'm going to bed when J goes to bed- 7:30 pm.  Thank goodness it's only the winter olympics taking the hit. Well, and the blog...

To sum it up, the have-to's are getting mostly done, and the want-to's are off the radar. So... since we are sans pictures...

Some things I think are mildly interesting in text only...


J LOVES graham crackers. If I had known this was the secret to a guaranteed mood lifter we wouldn't just be on our 3rd box.  There are graham crackers ALL over the house. I found one in my shoe yesterday.

We are trying to catch up on our Oscar nominees before the big night, March 7th.  We're pretty behind. And, I refuse to see Inglorious Bastards because I heard it is so violent. (I wish I could say this was a moral stand- but, it's more of a medical one. I pass out.)

Here's the couple that we have seen...



  1. The Hurt Locker. Story set in Baghdad about 6 years ago, follows the Bravo company as they disable bombs.  It was okay.  That's really all I have to say.  The movie felt numb, which I realize was the point, but by the time they tried to stir up the emotions and humanize it I just wanted the movie to be over.

  2. Avitar. Eh. The 3-D was amazing. Beautiful movie. The plot was nothing original, the acting was nothing special, and the love story was a little creepy to me.  M refers to it as: "The Story of John Smith and Pocahontas- if they were smurfs".

  3. District 9. This movie was awful. Now, I only watched half of it because it was also disgusting, but, M did watch the whole thing and after hearing the end I'm glad I didn't stick it out. Starts off promising- filmed like a documentary, the story centers on relocating an alien "slum".


And... that's it.  Like I said, we're pretty behind.  I am looking forward to, and am hopeful about The Blind Side, Up, Up in the Air and Precious. They sound much more thoughtful and entertaining.  And yes, Hollywood, I actually would like to be entertained by a movie and not just disturbed.

My predictions:


1. Best Picture: Hurt Locker. Again, not my favorite- but, I Hollywood loved it. They also loved the director, Kathryn Bigelow, and Best Director and Best Picture go hand in hand.  My second guess would be Avitar. I'm going with Hurt Locker because Avitar already took home the Golden Globe. Ohhh, but it might be Inglorious Bastards. One of those 3.


2. Best Actor: George Clooney for Up in the Air.  The movie looks too enjoyable to win for Best Picture, but I think Hollywood has deemed it "George's turn".

3. Best Actress: Gabourey Sidibe for Precious. Hollywood loved this movie, and Hollywood loves a unique no-name. Gabourey has not yet won an award, I think they've been saving the Oscar for her.  And while Hollywood loves to shine on a new star, they do not like their thunder stolen- therefore, I do not think Precious will win for Best Picture.


Well, that was fun!


How about a pole for Best Picture?

[polldaddy poll=2745543]

Did you vote? Need some inspiration?

Here's M's 0.02:


"I voted for “Sherlock Holmes”. That’s the last good movie I’ve seen since Harry Potter.

Of the Oscar nominees I have seen...

Avitar - L gave you my take.  Boring.  James Cameron said that he had the story for Avitar back in the 90's.  Story?

The Hurt Locker - Jarhead II

District 9 - Step 1.  Take a unique idea.  An alien slum on Earth.  Okay, an idea.  Step 2.  Shoot it as a documentary.  Step 3.  You're done.  Since you shot it as a documentary you don't have to worry about story, character development, or even an ending (*cough...Cloverfield...*cough).


On a serious note, the reason District 9 was made was because Peter Jackson's project "HALO: The Live Action Movie", got canceled.  I guess somebody read the script.  Or they figured everyone would be confused when it wasn't on a 4-panel display.  Since they had already paid the deposit on the studio, they figured they'd shoot something.  A member of the staff said he had a cool alien idea and apparently that was enough to make a movie.  They made up the storyline as they went.  No lie."

5 comments:

  1. Sorry for you nausea. I can relate (because I recently had the stomach virus.) It scarred me for life.

    I love a wordy post.

    I'm way behind on movies.

    Always loved Jim's glory in the mundane insight!

    Talk soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love blogs with texts! especially considering my blog has no pictures! but then again, i dont have a lil cutie pie to photograph! (that may change march 6 when our wittle puppers comes!)
    thanks for sharing the "ordinary" of your world with us and thanks for being so real! sorry your night nausea is affecting your tv viewing. ill do my best to keep you updated via rotten brain! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be so glad (as I'm sure you'll be) when you're in your 2nd trimester! :) I'm praying for you!
    Since I haven't seen any of the Oscar nominated movies, I'm not qualified to vote! LOL Lately I've been waiting for movies to come to Redbox.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're blog is always fun...pics or no pics, but I am very anxious to see J's haircut! No pressure! Really, I'm glad you're getting lots of sleep...good for both of you honey.

    I love to vote...LOVE to give my opinions but the only movie I've seen on the poll is Blind Side and I loved it, (but knowing Hollywood, I don't think it'll get best movie), so I can't vote. sad face.

    Love yous xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. i wondered when i first read your blog title if you got that from my dad.... sent him the link so he could read it, he's having a lame week i think this will really cheer him up. glad you mentioned him.... also, elijah loves graham crackers too! the BEST ones are the annie's bunny grahams, they're always in our organic section here. anyway they're bite sized so they're easy to take around and make less mess and no yucky stuff in them.... hope you feel better, i hate all that nausea! ever try ginger root pills? just ground up ginger, in a capsule really. those have saved me both pregnancies.

    ReplyDelete