Friday, May 8, 2009

Boris the Basil

DSC03897

The boy's name Boris \b(o)-ris\ is pronounced BOR-iss. It is of Russian and Slavic origin, and its meaning is "small; battle glory".

M brought home a little baby basil yesterday.  Because this is my first herb attempt and my thumb has no reputation; I thought I'd start the little guy out with an inspirational name and cross my fingers that self fulfilling prophecies work.  Looking forward to lots of fresh pesto and basil mozzarella pizzas... gardening tips and recipes are welcome!

7 comments:

  1. [...] Boris teamed up with lemon juice, garlic, parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes and S&P to make a delicious pesto in my food processor for our ravioli on Saturday.  Although our pesto was sans pine nuts because apparently they are something like $2 a piece and you need  at least eleventy billion.  Forget Boris, we need a pine nut plant (tree? vine? animal?).   [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Boris is lovely. Your thumb will do fine I'm sure. Just a little sun, a little water, a few loving words and voila! Herb garden! Congratulations on this guy too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] to follow on the yummy pasta (of course) dish Boris helped make the night before the 10K, and our beautiful hydrangeas (which I can technically take [...]

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] night before the 10K we figured we better load up on some carbs, and I also wanted to put Boris to good use.  This hybrid of several different pasta recipes, topped with some seasoned up grilled [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] improvements aside, the pizza was really tasty.  Boris was delicious (although we probably could have used more), I finely chopped him which took away [...]

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] and herb garden, I’m going to need to pick her brain when I decide to venture beyond Boris (who by the way, looks incredibly vibrant in his debut [...]

    ReplyDelete
  7. [...] makes the seasonings for the olive oil too. This time Boris [...]

    ReplyDelete